Founded in October of 2014, Friends of Corlears Hook Park is a 501c3 volunteer group that works to maintain and revitalize Corlears Hook Park for the benefit of the general public and residents of the Lower East Side. We accomplish our work by planning and organizing park clean-up and planting events, providing community programming in the park, raising funds to support park programs and initiatives, and collaborating with other government agencies, non-profit organizations and community groups for the betterment of the park.
Scroll down to see recent accomplishments & future priorities
What We've Achieved
- Obtained our official 501c3 non-profit status
- Secured grant from Partnership for Parks to help cover various expenses
- Secured grant from Community Parks Initiative for refurbishment and replanting of our center lawns and garden beds
- Added doggie poop bag dispenser in the park and a new hose in the dog run
- Added 3 new Japanese White Pine trees to the park
- Planted 2,200 daffodils throughout the park as part of New Yorkers for Parks Daffodil Project.
- Participation in NYC Parks TreeCycle Program
- Hosted annual spring and fall clean-up/planting events
- Hosted Family Fun day for the community
- Raised funds through the Healthy Neighborhoods Challenge Grant provided by the New York State Health Foundation to bring free yoga classes to the park in 2017
- Brought the first-ever holiday tree to the park and hosted a tree decorating party for the community
2017 (so far):
- Secured discretionary funding from Councilmember Rosie Mendez for future plantings and equipment.
- Secured an additional $300,000 in funding from Councilmember Rosie Mendez for dog run refurbishment.
- Secured grant from the Citizens Committee for New York City for garden shed, equipment and workshops.
- Continued to work with Community Board and DOT to get new stop sign and crosswalk installed at Cherry St. entrance to increase pedestrian safety.
- Hosted annual spring planting event.
- Hosted 12-week long free weekly yoga classes.
- Hosted Family Fun day for the community.
- Partnered with Art for Arts to bring free jazz performance to the park.
Be sure to check the Project Update page for the latest on some of these initiatives
- Refurbishment and reopening of comfort station
- Dog run renovation
- Repair of batting cage netting
- Refurbishment of children’s playground and water sprinkler
- More community programming
- and of course, more trees, shrubs and plants!